Popular singer, Beyonce Gissele Knowles Carter, was born on the 4th of September, 1981, the mother of three turned 36 today!
She is an American singer, songwriter, dancer and actress. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Beyoncé performed in various singing and dancing competitions as a child.
Here are Things your didn’t know about Beyonce as she turns 36!
- Throughout her career, she has sold an estimated 100 million records as a solo artist, and a further 60 million records with the group Destiny’s Child, making her one of the best-selling music artists in history.
- Beyoncé’s name is a tribute to her mother’s maiden name.
- Beyoncé is a descendant of Acadian leader Joseph Broussard.
- She has won 22 Grammy Awards and is the most nominated woman in the award’s history. She is also the most awarded artist at the MTV Video Music Awards, with 24 wins.
- The Recording Industry Association of America recognized Beyoncé as the Top Certified Artist in America during the 2000s (decade)
- Beyoncé’s parents separated in 1995
- Beyoncé had a theatrical film debut in Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002)
- When Beyoncé was eight, she and childhood friend Kelly Rowland met LaTavia Roberson while in an audition for an all-girl entertainment group.
- Beyoncé landed a major role in the MTV made-for-television film, Carmen: A Hip Hopera, starring alongside American actor Mekhi Phifer. Set in Philadelphia, the film is a modern interpretation of the 19th-century opera Carmen by French composer Georges Bizet.
- Beyoncé names Michael Jackson as her major musical influence. Aged five, Beyoncé attended her first ever concert where Jackson performed and she claims to have realized her purpose